Corrugated Cardboard packaging has a number of technical characteristics that ensure easy processing and make it possible to create a wide variety of designs. Due to this, there are a huge number of varieties of corrugated cardboard packaging, each of which can both have versatility and be adapted for highly specialized tasks. Corrugated Cardboard packaging can be classified according to many different characteristics. In this article, we will consider the typology of Corrugated Cardboard packaging by type of assembly, briefly describe the design features of each of them and give general recommendations on choosing the type of assembly that will meet certain tasks. Box4you is a Custom Made Box company in Canada an United States of America US. Which provides packaging and shipment facility to their customers on demand.
Wrapping Corrugated Cardboard Packaging
- Partially prepared (quick assembly).
- Corrugated packaging of automatic assembly.
- Let’s consider each type in more detail.
The most primitive type of Corrugated Cardboard packaging assembly. It is a minimally cut sheet with several straight cuts that form flaps. Equipped with so-called creasing grooves.
The wrapping corrugated cardboard container is stored in the form of a flat cut sheet and is assembled directly at the time of packaging the contents, more precisely, directly on the item being packed. From this procedure, the wrapping corrugated packaging got its name – the item to be packed is simply wrapped with a minimally prepared sheet of corrugated cardboard, after which special valves are connected using adhesive tape or a packaging stapler.
As a rule, this type of assembly is used in cases when it is necessary to pack oversized cargo. The layman, most often, can see the wrapping corrugated packaging when buying:
- Large household appliances (refrigerator, washing machine);
- Building materials (laminate, plastic lining, cladding panels from other materials, glass).
- In general, the wrapping is well suited for large flat items such as large paintings, frames, office drawing boards, auto body parts, etc.
- In the overwhelming majority of cases, wrapping packaging is used once, after which it is disposed of or used for domestic needs as ordinary corrugated cardboard sheets.
- The undoubted advantages of this type of assembly include ease of production, low cost and, accordingly, a budget price. Any employee without any special skills can assemble the wrapping. The disadvantages include the need for additional connecting elements.
Self-assembled Corrugated Cardboard Packaging
This term denotes the type of assembly of Corrugated Cardboard packaging , implying the use of only corrugated cardboard blanks. Cut according to a special pattern, without the use of additional connecting elements. As a rule, these blanks have rather complex outlines, since special elements are taken into account during the design. For example, reinforced double walls and interlocks. Locking joints are structural elements of Corrugated Cardboard packaging , which, when assembled, perform the function of clamps instead of traditional consumables (packing tape, glue or connecting brackets).
This type of assembly allows you to create a huge variety of various designs to solve a wide range of tasks. Self-collecting trays can be both open-top and full-fledged containers with a lockable lid.
In most cases, self-assembled corrugated cardboard packaging has small dimensions and is intended for packaging:
- small-sized technical devices (tools, computer equipment and components for it, mobile accessories, small-sized household appliances, etc.);
- food products (fast food, candy, chewing gum, etc.);
- gift sets (children’s toys, cosmetics, etc.);
- household medical equipment (blood pressure monitors, glucometers, etc.)
In fact, the range of application of self-assembled corrugated cardboard packaging is limited only by the dimensions of the packed items, since it is more rational to use other types of assembly for large items or for bulk packing.
The advantages of self-assembled corrugated cardboard packaging:
- No need for additional consumables – cardboard blanks are the only necessary components for the assembly of ready-to-use packaging;
- The ability to develop a wide variety of container models for various tasks;
- Pleasant aesthetic appearance, no visible connecting elements – tape and fastening staples.
Quick-assembled Corrugated Cardboard Packaging
This type of assembly of corrugated cardboard packaging is perhaps the most common among the rest. Quick-assembly designs are so popular that it makes no sense to list all their areas of application. They are used absolutely everywhere, from cardboard boxes for tubes with ointments and candy boxes, to packaging of household appliances and car parts. Quick-assembly can be either a miniature marketing package or a large corrugated cardboard container.
- Ease of development and production, respectively, low cost;
- A huge assortment of ready-made models – the popularity of this type of container has led to the fact that in the catalogs of manufacturers you can almost always choose a ready-made development for your purposes;
- Convenience of transportation and storage of new empty containers – when folded, it takes up a minimum amount of space;
- High versatility – quick-assembly packaging is applicable in almost any production and logistics process;
- Low time spent on preparation for work.
Disadvantages of quick-assembly containers:
- Most of the models require additional consumables for assembly, most often packaging tape.
- After unpacking, quick-assembly containers, in some cases, are unsuitable for full-fledged reuse, since the adhesive tape, when peeled off, often damages the outer liner of the corrugated cardboard.
However, these shortcomings are very arbitrary, since there are a number of models of quick-assembly containers that do not require gluing with tape during assembly.
Corrugated Cardboard Packaging of automatic assembly
A corrugated cardboard packaging takes up a minimum of space (as, in fact, containers of other types of assembly) and after unfolding it immediately turns into a fully functional, completely ready-to-use container unit.
Structurally, an automatic assembly container is one or several cardboard blanks with a rather complex geometry and pre-glued at one or several points. When developing, one has to take into account the rather complex mechanics of the movement of individual elements at the time of unfolding the container into the working position.
This type of assembly is the most difficult to design and manufacture, which cannot but affect the cost. However, automatic assembly packaging is in high demand, especially where assembly time is a critical factor. Also, such packaging justifies its price when the cost of the contents is high enough that the price per container does not significantly affect the demand for the finished packaged product.
The main advantage of corrugated cardboard packaging of automatic assembly is instant readiness for work.
There is only one conditional drawback – the price. But, as mentioned above, the speed of work often fully compensates for the cost, and in some cases even makes the use of automatic assembly more financially profitable than the use of cheap packaging solutions.
Speaking about the types of assembly, one cannot ignore the topic of multi-piece corrugated packaging.
A multi-piece container can either refer to one of the above types of assembly, or combine two or more types. Each element can have an independent design.
Constructive solutions for closing and opening Corrugated Cardboard Packaging
Numerous packaging solutions provide the same variety of container opening and closing options. Among them there are both separate lids in multi-piece containers and valve-type lids. Both of them can provide for multiple opening, which allows the use of packaging repeatedly and disposable, which provides control of opening, a kind of “sealing” of the cargo.
It is worth mentioning the models, which, after loading and closing the lid, turn into a one-piece structure.
Selection of containers of a certain type of assembly
Let’s make a reservation right away. The recommendations given are indicative, since when choosing the type of packaging assembly. It is not enough to simply take into account a number of factors, even if it is quite complete. (below we list the factors that play a role in the choice). And in general, making such a choice in absentia is not worth it.
It is necessary to take into account such non-obvious moments as the number of movements required to assemble a particular container / packaging model, the distances that an employee has to travel when carrying containers, etc.
Automatic assembly and filling lines
If you plan to use automatic lines for the assembly of containers. Then self-assembly structures are most likely not suitable for you Since the vast majority of automatic lines are not able to perform the complex manipulations necessary when assembling such containers.
But such lines do an excellent job with quick-assembly structures. At the same time, it is important to take into account that any automatic line imposes high requirements on the used packaging. Accuracy in dimensions, specified density of the cardboard and elasticity of packaging elements, etc.
Despite the difficulties that arise when setting up such lines, their operation fully justifies itself in cases when:
- Customization and development costs are justified by production volumes.
- The packaged goods are subject to increased hygiene and sanitary requirements. Which excludes personal contact of employees’ fingers with the contents (pharmaceuticals, production of hygiene products or sterile personal items).
Recycling of containers and packaging
- In second place are structures in which impurities of a polymer film come across – the remains of an adhesive tape connecting the bottom;
- The third grade is containers and packaging fastened with metal staples. Some models of processing machines cannot cope with such impurities and may even fail because of them. For this reason, recycling companies have to dispose of metal parts first, which makes the process more complicated and more expensive.
General recommendations for selection
Despite the complexity of choosing the type of assembly, there are general rules for selection, due to practical experience. This can be either self-assembled packaging (by definition, there are no extraneous elements in it). As well as quick-assembly, partially prepared structures and automatic assembly packaging with lids on locks. This option is most suitable for display cases with small-sized goods.
If a budget solution is an important factor for you, then choose quick-assembly four-valve boxes or boxes.
Bulky goods are easier and cheaper to pack in wrapping containers.
If the sterility of the contents is important to you, use automatic filling lines. With the most suitable packaging will be quick assembly, which will simplify the line setup.